Monday, June 9, 2008

Tribute to Dad

The fruit of our labour

While I inherited my passion for cooking from my mum, I picked up a knack for gardening from my dad. Dad has worked with plants all his life, beginning his career with the government agriculture department. After his retirement, he ventured into the private sector and currently at age 70+, he works part-time as a landscape contractor. He can’t seem to give up his plants!

Growing up, we’ve always had a garden full of plants. In fact, our house was like an orchard sometimes. At one time, when dad went through his cactus phase, our garden resembled a desert in Texas.

We don’t always realize the lasting impact our parents have on us. Honestly, I hardly spent any time in the garden during my childhood. When I grew up and had my own home, it was dad who gave us our first plants for our home. The red palm is still with us many years later (provided Kess, our beagle doesn’t chew it up. She has already mangled its twin).

As a result, unlike some Malaysian homes, we decided to keep our front garden instead of tiling it up to make space for another car park space. In fact, we did the opposite to our back yard and converted the cement floor into a garden. We like to do our entertaining at our back patio and enjoy the little garden we have out back. Unlike dad, I don’t really have green fingers but I do enjoy puttering around the garden. Sure, it takes work. Weeding, trimming, watering, fertilizing. But the fruits of the labour is worth it.
Happy Fathers Day, dad!

No comments: