Monday, June 16, 2008

Bali - Lazy Day by the Beach

When I travel, I usually like to move around, go sight-seeing, hiking, shopping, etc. I reserve lazing around when I'm at home. After all, if I'm going to spend money to go to another country, I should maximise my time there and see and do all that I possibly can, right?
So, in a very "unlike me" fashion, I actually spent half a day lazing by the beach in Bali, during my recent trip there. Because I live in sunny Malaysia, having sunshine is no big deal. In fact, a lot of Malaysians, especially women, prefer to stay out of the sun as they don't want to get tanned. Tha't why whitening skin products are such a hit here. For me, I am naturally tanned (thanks to my half Nyonya heritage), so I don't mind the sun as much.

Anyway, since I stayed at the Melia Bali on Nusa Dua Beach, I decided to take advantage fo the private beach on the resort property. Even though, I don't mind the sun, I don't intentionally go sun-tanning. So, I found a deck chair in a shady spot and settled down with a good book to read.

P.S. These weren't the Melia Bali deck chairs. It belonged to a nearby resort but I thought that it warranted a picture coz it was so unusual.
It really was very relaxing listening to the sound of the waves and the chirping of the birds. Occasionally, a tree squirrel would come down the tree, hoping for some nuts from the sun-bathing guests.
When I looked up from my chair, I could see the blue sky peeking out from among the tree leaves. When I looked out, I could see a boat floating in the air. No, it's not a scene from the Pirates of the Carribean, it's actually a kite. During low tide, I ventured to the pool for a cool dip.
Very pleasant indeed. I could get used to this...

No comments: