Thursday, June 25, 2009

Take Charge of Your Health Today

"When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no "I'll start tomorrow." Tomorrow is disease. ~V.L. Allineare

Over the last couple of years, I've seen my dad survive a heart attack and colon cancer. It's scary. Nowadays it is not uncommon for any one of us to know personally of one or more person with cancer. Maybe it's the world we live in today - Pollution in the air, hormones in our food, contaminants in our water, etc. Seeing my dad endure all the pain and suffering from surgery and treatment is a strong reminder to take care of my health now for my future.

I love food and am not likely to be vegetarian anytime soon. I am a strong believer in eating delicious food (translate to not so healthy stuff) in moderation and adding more vegetable and fruits to my diet. I also believe that when we eat home-cooked food, we have more control over what goes into our bodies. Hence, apart from cooking dinner most days (less salt and oil), I now bake my own bread (which is a breeze with my Kenwood breadmaker), make my own cakes (reduced sugar)and boil barley and herb drinks, or as the Chinese call "Liong cha" (which helps cool the body in today's hazy and hot weather). Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going out for meals from time to time.

Exercise is the other important component for good health. Due to his bad knee, my dad used to give the excuse that he can't exercise. Now, based on the advice from his orthopedic surgeon, he is working out on a recumbent exercise bike which has a back support to prepare for his knee replacement surgery. The point is we shouldn't give excuses for not working out. There are many exercise options to compensate for injury if only we bother to find out. I've just taken up Pilates this year and find that the stretches and exercises strengthen my muscles and back. Strange as it may sound, I actually look forward to my abs and other muscles aching after a workout because I know I'm working towards a stronger body.

1 comment:

Sweet Jasmine said...

Health is better than weatlh and prevention is better than cure. I am very careful with my diet nowadays since I was afflicted with rheumatoid arthritis.