Thursday, May 8, 2008

Great Service at Shell

Great customer service is rare. We expect it at 5-star hotels because we pay 5-star prices. Even then, we don't always get it.

I certainly didn't expect great service at a petrol station. Ever since the petrol stations moved towards self service at the pumps, we rarely expect any service from the attendants. In fact, some attendants just stand around doing nothing and just watch when you start cleaning your windscreen. That's why I was pleasantly surprised when I went to pump petrol at the Shell station opposite the Eastin Hotel today. I don't usually patronise this station but after today, I just may.

When I drove in, the attendant guided my car to an empty slot. When I got out, he asked with a smile if I was paying by credit card. Then he offered to clean my windscreen without me asking for the service. After he had completed cleaning, he went on to the car behind me and proceeded to clean the windscreen. When I encountered a problem with the credit card receipt, he immediately acknowledged my request for help with a nod, asked his colleague to take over the cleaning and came over to assist me. This gentleman, Encik Bakar is a shining example of great customer service. I am so impressed. Well done, sir! It's good to know people with passion for their job.

No comments: