Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First Day in HK

The last couple of weeks have been hectic as J and I prepared to relocate to HK. After all the planning and preparation, we've finally arrived in HK to begin a new chapter in our lives. I must admit that I leave home with a heavy heart. Despite its many imperfections and the high rate of migration of our friends to the Land Down Under, Malaysia is still home for me. I will miss my family and friends. I will also miss my favourite local dishes, ranging from nasi lemak to "har meen", roti canai to rojak. What can I say? I'm Malaysian :-)

We touched down today this afternoon and was greeted by a beautiful summer day in HK, with sunny blue skies (a real treat in HK). After a late lunch, we went grocery shopping as we had nothing at home. Thankfully, the supermarkets here offer free grocery delivery as we had over HKD1,000 worth of groceries. It would have been a challenge lugging all that back home without a car. I will have to get used to the high HK prices for some of the goods here, especially dairy products, which is almost double the price in Malaysia. We bought take-away food from the supermarket for dinner so that we didn't have to go out again. So, our first meal in our new home comprised of rice with small portions of steam chicken, siew yok, tofu and fish and brocolli and cauli stirfry.

Tonight, I look out of the window of my new home in HK and admire the bright lights of HK city from one view. I am thankful for the lovely green hills on the other side of our apartment, as it reminds me a little piece of my backyard in our home in KL. It'll continue to be busy in the coming 2 weeks as we open accounts, get new mobile numbers and sort out all the other administrative issues that come with moving to a new country. Kess will arrive next Friday. We do miss our little beagle, but she's in good hands at the moment with my parents. Can't wait to see her again. Hopefully, she won't be too traumatized by the journey. I was told by a fellow blogger who's also moved with her Great Dane that us humans tend too worry too much and that the dogs actually cope better than expected. Let's hope so. Then of course, there will be quite a lot of unpacking to do when our shipment arrives in about 2-3 weeks time. Once we have our things, we should be feeling more at home.

Well, one door of our lives are closed, and a new one has just been opened. I don't know what's in store for us but I do know that God does. That is enough for me.

“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.”
Flora Whittemore

No comments: