Monday, April 19, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

... try and try again"

Today, I managed to do a roll-over* at my Pilates mat class. I've been struggling with this exercise in past classes and have never managed to do a successful roll over on my own. So, when my Pilates instructor told us to do the roll over exercise three-quarters way through the class, I mentally groaned and thought to myself "Oh no...". Anyway, I gave it a go. To my utmost surprise, I actually managed to perform this exercise on my first attempt. I could not believe it. It was probably not the most graceful roll over, and yes, I needed to use my hands to support my buttocks to assist the roll over - but I did it! I still have to keep working on it to refine my technique and learn to roll down properly but after a taste of success today, I am confident that I will be able to master this exercise not too far in the future.

The key to success is to keep trying, keep practicing, keep going. And when success finally comes, it will taste so much sweeter because of all the sweat (literally, in this case) and tears (for all the aching muscles after each class).

So whether it's trying out a Pilates exercise, or learning to ride a bike, or sitting for a test, or going for a job interview, or securing a business deal, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Don't give up. Success comes to those who work at it!

* Generally, a roll over exercise involves lying on your back with your hands by your side and extending your legs upwards at a 90 degree angle. Using your abdominal muscles, you then draw your hips and legs over your head until your legs are parallel to your chest. Deepening your abdominal muscles, roll onto the broad part of your shoulder. Slowly roll down, using abdominal control to peel down one vertebrae at a time.

No comments: